There should actually be no reason why you have to tell someone you do not like them – except sometimes people forget that not everyone wants to receive a text from them, be their friend on Facebook, or be uploaded to their social media pages at a party you both attended.
It is best to avoid anyone you really do not like – human instincts are there for a reason and until you know someone really well (and by this time it can be too late) you never know why it is you may not like them.
However, if it reaches the stage where you have decided you do not like someone – but they persist in contacting you or uploading you to their Facebook wall, it is time to broach the subject.
- If you have friends in common telling someone you don’t like them may cause a problem, so find out about the relationships the person has with your close friends before you act. You can also speak to any close mutual friends and try and get an idea of what the person is like and why your other friends are happy to hang out with them.
- If the person you don’t like actually does something which annoys you, this can be a good way to speak to them about the fact you are not keen to pursue a friendship with them. For example, politely ask them to take down any photos online which you appear in.
- Blaming the other person is also a good way of bringing up the subject – if there is a mistrust between you, ask them what they don’t like about you, as you get he feeling there is an issue between you. Don’t be aggressive about this, but just mention they do not seem at ease around you or they don’t seem to like you. They may counter this and accuse you of not liking them, at which point suggest you both accept you don’t see eye to eye and just avoid each other in the future.
- If you work with someone you don’t like, it is best not to be the one to cause an issue in case it affects your career. Annoying people often realize they are annoying and have a knack of deflecting their irritation factor onto others, and remain looking like Mr or Miss Popular at work, so just avoid them.
- If a work colleague accuses you of not liking them, deny it and report it to your supervisor or line manager before they get there first. The bonus is you now have a bona fide reason for not liking them or wanting to work with them ie they are confrontational.
Instead of going straight into divorce, why not speak to a solicitor for legal separation advice. This means you do not have to rush into divorce.