If you’ve been suffering increasingly from headaches and stress, it might be the technology we all surround ourselves with. We have rooms filled with phones, computers, tablets, and televisions. These electromagnetic fields cause something called electromagnetic hypersensitivity, or EHS.
EHS is the effects of the electromagnetic fields on the body. Although international radiation standards prevent any permanent damage, they don’t stop people from suffering minor symptoms. But there are steps you can take to reduce the severity of the symptoms, and even prevent them completely.
What are the Symptoms?
EHS causes a wide range of symptoms. The symptoms largely depend on the person and their sensitivity. The most common are headaches and sleep disturbances. Stress is also a factor, which many claim links to problems with sleep.
Some sufferers have also described physical symptoms. These physical symptoms include rashes, a prickling sensation, burning, and muscle aches. As of this writing, there’s no dedicated range of symptoms recorded.
Treating the Problem
There’s no medical treatment for EHS because scientists understand very little about it. The only logical step forward is to remove the cause of EHS. Remove the electromagnetic fields and the body reacts in a less violent way. Here are just some of the ways you can reduce your exposure to these damaging fields.
When you’re done using your electrical device, turn it off and avoid leaving it on stand-by. Leaving it on stand-by doesn’t shut down the electromagnetic field. It’s rare to leave all of our devices on throughout the night, but we often leave them on stand-by. One device might emit very little. Multiple devices emit a lot, and that’s enough to influence the body.
If you’re the sort of person to charge your phone through the night, move it to another room. The active charge causes a big electromagnetic field to radiate outwards. Moving it to another room can provide an ideal sleeping zone. Ideally, you want to make sure it’s moved as far away as possible because magnetic waves can travel through solid walls.
Turn Off the Wi-Fi
Having Wi-Fi on any of your devices automatically sets off an electromagnetic field. It’s easy to accidentally leave them switched on during the night. It allows the waves to travel even in places where you’ve turned everything off. What makes it such a problematic source of energy is the fact it’s easy to forget about.
Use What You Need
It’s not just when we’re asleep it starts influencing us. It happens during the day too. Surfing the Internet when we don’t need to, leaving our phones on despite the fact you have no intention of answering it, and putting every technological device in the room on. Use only what you need and you won’t experience as much exposure to electromagnetic waves.
To master this, plan your day in advance. Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it. This will stop you from veering off in another direction. Never underestimate the temptation to open up the computer or switch on your phone.
Geoff McCabe enjoys the benefits of healthy living and plenty of technology free time at his Costa Rica Eco Lodge and Yoga Retreat.