For some, choosing a college major can be daunting. After all, you have a wide range of majors available, and the one you choose will help you start planning your future career. Many choose a major based upon their talent and personal interests. If you have a love of the English language and love to show off your creative site, then you should explore pursuing a career as a writer. You have different career options available including working as a professional journalist, content editor, technical writer, and online media writer, among others. But, in order to be a professional writer, you should obtain as much writing experience as possible.
Whether you’re currently applying to college and are already working with an essay tutor, or are in college and want to improve your writing skills, listed below are five ways you can tone up your writing and get a feel for what it’s like to work as a professional writer.
- Join the school newspaper: Does your high school or college have a school newspaper? If so, join the staff. You can pick which section of the newspaper you’d like to write for, or write for multiple sections. Not only will this help you improve your writing skills, but you can become more familiar with the activities and events currently taking place at your school.
- Intern: While in college, intern as a writer. You have a variety of options available such as interning for a local newspaper, publishing company, or a writing department within a company. Interning will help you improve your writing skills and get a feel for what it’s like to write as a professional.
- Hire a tutor: Hiring a tutor is a highly beneficial way to help you sharpen your writing skills. A tutor will help you improve your grammar skills and English composition, as well as teach you about the different types of writing styles. Learning the different writing styles will help you academically and help you determine which type of writing career you wish to pursue. Also, if you’re applying to college, you can improve your academic writing with an essay tutor.
- Start a blog: Blogging is becoming an increasingly popular activity as well as profession. There are various blog sites available in which you can join for free or buy a domain and host your own site. Think of what topic(s) you like to write about. Do you have a strong interest in health? If so, start a health blog. Keep your blog consistent and gain readers. Also, allow readers to post and comment. In addition, go online and read other blogs.
- Freelance: Freelancing allows you to enhance your writing as well as post your content online for audiences to read. On the web you can find a myriad of sites that accept content from freelancers. When you find a site you’re interested in freelancing for, ask about their guidelines and starting writing.
Whether you choose to join your school’s newspaper, or start a blog, these are all great ways to help you improve your writing skills and lead the way to a successful career as a professional writer.
Author Byline: Jillian Johnson is a professional marketing content writer who blogs on a variety of topics. Follow her @MissWritey.
- Blogging… What’s the Point? (maasmith.com)
- 7 Editing Tips to Improve your Blog-Writing Skills (socialmediatoday.com)
- How to Become the Best Blogger/Writer in Your Niche (dailyblogtips.com)
- Online Resources for Better Writing (totallytop10.com)