Many are curious about the answer to the question, “do only women get cellulite?” And the answer is that men can also get dimpled or furrowed skin on their tummies, buttocks and thighs. However, women are more likely to get cellulite more than men because the latter’s fat cells in their bodies have a different shape and are stored in a different manner. The skin’s subcutaneous fat layer in women is arranged in big vertical chambers which can store a huge amount of fat that can be very noticeable.
The chambers of men, on the other hand, are organized into small diagonal units that can only accommodate minimal amount of fat, which are rooted deep into the skin thus are not visible and cannot cause ripples like that of women.
When Does Cellulite Occur?
The condition can occur regardless of age, but most often they appear when one turns 14 years old. When a person ages, the skin’s subcutaneous layer becomes thinner and rearranges itself, which leads to visible cellulite. It surfaces in almost all women who are post-adolescent. It does not appear due to obesity because women who are thin, normal or just overweight also have them.
Factors that Cause Cellulite
When one asks “do only women get cellulite?”, the correct answer would be no. There are different factors that contribute to the development of the skin condition.
- One of them is not enough water intake because water flushes fat-building toxins from the body. It is thus important to consume at least eight glasses of water daily.
- A poor healthy diet can also cause the problem. When one consumes too much spicy food, caffeine and alcohol, this can form cellulite, as these have saturated fats that assist in cellulite-building. The fats then obstruct the arteries and get caught in the tissues. Toxins and wastes are then prevented from being eliminated from the body as they get caught in the fatty tissues, hence the dimpled and rippled look of the skin.
- Another cause is smoking. Apart from the vice destroying the lungs, it constricts the capillaries, thus weakens the skin. It also destroys connective tissues, which then results to the dimpled appearance.
- Stress can also be a cause because it makes muscles painful and lets the connective tissue covering muscle stiffen. Tension would then obstruct the tissue, thus waste and toxins are not properly eliminated from the body.
- Medications, such as diuretics, sleeping pills and diet pills, can result to cellulite. Taking these can hinder the body from performing its natural process. It disturbs the natural purification system of the body. Estrogen increases with oral contraceptives, which enlarges fat cells and retains water on the body. When water is retained, the body is prevented from eliminating toxins, which would then influence cellulite formation.
- Another factor is lack of exercise. It is important to exercise regularly so as to enhance muscle tone and improve overall well-being and blood circulation which would cleanse the body and remove blocked tissues.
These are the factors that cause cellulite and not gender. This then answers the question do only women get cellulite.
Cellulite formation is one of the facts of the human body that many women tend to live with. But the condition can be eliminated, if not prevented completely. Facts and other tips about cellulite treatments are found at http://cellulite-home-remedies.com/