Most of us severely abuse our hair. Whether we constantly expose our hair to sun damage, chlorinated or hard water, heat styling, daily shampooing, chemical treatments, or other abuse, over time this damage leaves us with coarse, rough strands. Once this damage occurs, using a daily conditioner may not help much since many conditions build up and make hair heavy and dull. Some conditions even cause more damage due to the use of chemicals and parabins. So what can you do to restore your hair’s health? One quick fix is that of an at-home hot oil treatment, using coconut or olive oil.
Coconut and Olive Oils as Conditioners
Throughout history, women of many cultures have used olive and coconut oils as hair and skin conditioner. These natural oils penetrate each hair strand and leave them strong, shiny, and well nourished. When used weekly, these oils can even cause hair to look younger and more vibrant.
These oils, when used as hair conditioner, can prevent hair loss, make hair more elastic, improve the condition of the scalp, and prevent dandruff. They have so many wonderful health and anti-aging properties that both oils are used by many cultures as moisturizers for the entire body.
Choosing the Right Oil
For the best results and healthiest hair, look for organic, virgin olive or coconut oil. Read the ingredients carefully and choose options that are either 100% pure or that only contain the addition of citric acid to preserve the oil. During cold seasons, the oil may appear cloudy. This is normal and has no effect on the performance of the oil as a conditioner.
How to Do It
Here is how to give yourself a home hot-oil treatment with coconut or olive oil:
- Shampoo well with a clarifying shampoo to remove any build-up and to allow the oil to properly penetrate the hair cuticle and shaft. Gently massage the shampoo into the scalp and rinse thoroughly with warm water, repeating if necessary.
- Towel dry hair until it is left only slightly damp.
- Heat a very small amount of oil until it is moderately warm, but not hot. If you wish, you may also add a drop or two of another essential oil for your favorite fragrance.
- Starting with a dime-sized amount of oil, coat your hair from roots to tips, adding more oil as needed. Massage the oil into your scalp and make sure every hair is covered.
- Bunch hair on top of your head and cover with a plastic shower cap. For deeper conditioning, you can cover the cap with a warmed towel or you can use a blow dryer on low heat to warm your hair. Leave on for 5 – 45 minutes.
- Remove the shower cap and thoroughly rinse your hair with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse. Do not shampoo. Your hair should not feel soft and silky and look much healthier. When you use these hot-oil treatments regularly, your hair will look its best and will be more resistant to damage.
Author Byline: Andrew P. is a writer for www.how2becomeatattooartist.net. If you are interested in becoming a tattoo artist, take a look at this site.