Image by: S. Diddy
We all like to think we’re awesome girlfriends.
We pride ourselves on never taking a peep at our partner’s phone, for allowing him to spend an evening down the pub, and for not complaining about the latest gadget he just had to have.
But no matter how hard we try, sometimes we don’t realise the very simple things we’re doing wrong.
These are the 5 things that put you at risk of being ‘The Bad Girlfriend’.
The Bad Girlfriend
1. You metaphorically pee all over his Facebook page. You mark your territory by tagging him in about 20 photos per week, comment on all his statuses with xx and ❤. You check him in to all the places you go together (Odeon cinema, your mother’s, Pets at Home…) and you tag him in annoyingly soppy statuses that no one wants to read.
2. You plan everything around him. You turn down an evening with your friends because you know that’s the only night he has free from football practice. This makes you dependant and also puts a lot of pressure on him. He will feel like he HAS to spend that evening with you.
3. You fish for compliments. We all do it. The trick is to trick him into complimenting you, without it seeming to him like you’re looking for a compliment. If you’re fishing for compliments, he will be less likely to want to give them.
Image by: Tanya Little
4. You mock him a lot. This one may come as a surprise. If your relationship has a good level of banter, be warned that you can go a little too far. Mocking him incessantly will make him feel humiliated and he will start to feel like you don’t respect him.
5. When he doesn’t text back straight away, you text again. This is a common mistake many women make. Maybe he didn’t get the text, maybe my question wasn’t clear enough, maybe… STOP!
He will text back in time, just be patient. Never send him two consecutive texts, unless the second is a crucial update to the first.
These may all seem like small annoyances, but frequently repeated they can make your relationship seem like a chore rather than a pleasure.
The Good Girlfriend
There are many ways to be a bad girlfriend, but there are also lots of ways to be a good one!
- It’s important to give him space, and give yourself space at the same time. Make sure he knows you enjoy his company, but that it’s not all that you have.
- Be body confident and keep things exciting. Turn up for bedtime in a sexy silk negligee and never utter the words, ‘Is she prettier than me?’
- Remember to be sensitive. Don’t make comments about what he’s eating, or make any weight related reproach (‘a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips’ is an absolute no-no). If he did that to you, you’d pull both his arms out of their sockets and you know it.
- Don’t record over Top Gear. Just don’t.
These little things make for a much more pleasant relationship, forge a better understanding, and generally make him feel like he’s lucky to have you.
Can you think of more? If so, please share!
Author Bio: Susannah Perez writes blogs about fashion, lingerie and lifestyle. She is passionate about relationships and romance, and writes for Heavenly Lingerie to feed her lingerie addiction!