Let’s face it; stripes can terrify the best of us. They’re shameless and they’re brave and they can be hard to wear. There are some untrue stories about stripes that people worry about such as horizontal stripes will make you look wider. Others may just think that they’re too fashion forward and become concerned about wearing them.
In addition to intimidating, stripes can also be electrifying and fun, infusing a bit of punk rock into an ordinary outfit. Stripes were a big hit last summer and they’re still as fun to see today as they were a year ago. Below is a list of six tips for when you wear stripes.
Six Tips for Wearing Stripes
1. The legend that horizontal stripes make you look like you are wider than you really are is not true. Studies have proven to be untrue so wear that striped top if that’s what is stopping you.
2. Wider stripes make a confident statement. If the thought of wearing stripes makes you nervous, start out wearing pinstripes and then work up to wearing wider stripes. Pinstripes are extremely cute on trousers and shorts. They can spice up even the dullest outfit.
3. In order to be safe, pair a neutral color with stripes. If you are just starting out wearing stripes you should wear a solid color to tone down the stripes. For example, you would pair a striped top with plain jeans or a skirt, or pair striped pants or skirt with a plain top.
4. Wearing black and white is always a classic look but don’t be scared to try other combinations of colors. If you want to be extreme you can go as bright as you want, but also remember that a plain stripe can look fantastic next to a brightly colored one. A couple of possible color combinations for stripes are pinks and reds coupled with creams and grays, or tan with blues and even reds.
5. Adding some flare to a plain ensemble, you can wear a striped top instead of a solid colored top. This is the simplest way you can add stripes to your closet. Wear a striped top instead of a plain one. Also, adding a striped sweater can add an exciting touch to a plain dress.
6. If you want to test out mixing prints, stripes are a great way to begin. Floral prints and plaid both look great with black and white stripes. Just like leopard print, stripes work as a neutral so you can where them with almost anything.
About The Author: Alyx Braze is a freelance author who specializes in women’s apparel and has a passion for fashion.