Considering watching a movie tonight? Well, you’d do well to avoid these movies! At the very least, call a friend over, stat!
- The Birds: We start with a classic. Alfred Hitchcock pretty much outdid himself with this scary movie, which although is pretty old compared to the rest of the movies in the list, still manages to remain right on top. No fancy special effects, no high tech moves, this movie is still so frightening that each time you see a bird roosting, you may actually wonder whether you are going to be attacked or not. Chilling to the core.
- Lord of the Flies: Perhaps not the scariest movie you will ever see, but still something to give you the chills, the Lord of the Flies, based on the eponymous book by William Golding warrants a discussion about freedom, government, society and civilization. You will not want to watch it alone simply because you will not want to miss out on the discussion which you may want to have after the movie.
- The Ring: Guaranteed to keep you awake at night, and jump each time your phone rings, the ring is as frightening as they come. The colors of the movie, the actors, the fact that a little boy is involved, and a dead girl crawling spider-like out of a well will ensure that you have someone warm to clutch, while you are putting yourself through the experience!
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Must we elaborate? The tile itself is so scary, you’d be forgiven if you want to give this a skip altogether. A bunch of teenagers are hunted down by a madman whose family is so poor it can only eat what he kills. Scary on many levels!
- 1408: Chilly, chilly, chilly. John Cusack is a writer who writes about haunted houses and although skeptical, he finds himself in an actual haunted room. This movie warrants discussions afterward for the nuanced watcher. Don’t miss the fun by watching it alone.
- Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle: Okay, we didn’t say this was a list of scary movies. A laugh out loud riot which you will only enjoy to the hilt if you watch it with a bunch of friends, this movie is guaranteed to keep your sides splitting.
- Little Miss Sunshine: Again, not a scary movie, but one which can only be enjoyed when watched with the family. Meet the eccentric family that endures itself even while it tries to make it to a contest for the youngest member of the family!
- Saw: Back to horrors now! The very first one of the series is a gore fest which will ensure your sleep is wrecked for an entire week if nothing else! Watch it with a friend so you can ensure each other it is only a movie!
- The Exorcist: If this were a list of horror flicks, this movie would top it. An old 1973 flick, this movie led to so many controversies including religious boycotts and nauseous audiences that it is only fair it comes with a warning. Watch at your own risk, and DO NOT WATCH ALONE!
- Hostel: A film about a couple of backpackers in Europe, this movie is disturbing enough if you’re watching it with a friend without having to attempt it alone. If you’ve been thinking of going backpacking, you might just reconsider the idea.
This is a guest post by Lance Goodman of buytimewarnercable.com, a site that offers savings and current information on Dish Network.
- How to Enjoy Watching Foreign Films (dangerouslee.biz)