Nail polish has a natural tendency to chip after several days of wear. Whether you paint your nails yourself at home, or get a manicure at your local salon, chipping nail polish is a common problem that can be highly frustrating. Even a single chip can compromise the look of your entire manicure. Fortunately, there are simple ways to prevent your nail polish from chipping and even extend the length of your manicure. Here you will find a list of super simple tips.
1. Ensure your nails are clean. Dirt and natural oils that lay on the nail surface can aid in chipping. Remove any old polish still left on your nail with acetone with a soft cotton ball. Wash with warm water and soap to remove oils and dirt from your hands and nails.
2. Always apply a base coat. It’s important to apply a thin, clear base coat to prep your nail for polish. Allow the base coat to completely dry before applying colored polish.
3. Keep layers of polish thin. Never apply your nail polish too thick, as it can cause bubbles, makes the nails more susceptible to smudging, and can lead to premature chipping. Instead, apply three-to-four thin coats and allow each coat to dry in between.
4. Polish the tips of the nails. Many women forget to polish the tips of their nail. When applying nail polish, begin at the base and go up and over the tips of the nails to help seal the color and cut down on chipping.
5. Consider applying a polish with shimmer. The shimmering glitter particles found in some types of nail polish can actually help adhere the polish to the nails. Try a shimmery pink, purple, or mint green shade.
6. Always apply a top coat. Not only is a base coat needed, but a top coat is also required to extend the life of your manicure. The base coat can be used as a top coat or you can use a clear polish made for top coat protection. Apply the top coat around the edges of the nails to help seal in the color.
7. Give the nails sufficient drying time. Nails should have at least 45 minutes of drying time before you try to handle items or open products with your nails. After an hour, submerge your nails in cold water to help set the nail polish. Apply lotion to help moisturize your hands and nails.
Amanda is a guest poster who also writes for freemakeupsamples.org.uk where she regularly seeks out the hottest free cosmetics and beauty sample offers to be found online.