Chocolates and sweets have been associated with certain health perils. Some say eating chocolates contributes to lower bone density. It is also said that it causes headaches. The most common remark about chocolates, particularly milk chocolates, is that they are high in sugar, saturated fat and calories.
There is one type of chocolate that veers away from the common notion that chocolate is bad for us. Dark chocolate is a nutritious treat for the body. Recent medical researches has proved that this variety of chocolate can really improve our health. Dark chocolate has phytochemicals that are good for the heart, mind and body. This is also backed up by scientific evidences.
Here are some of the health benefits of dark chocolate:
- It helps lower blood pressure. It is full of minerals like copper and magnesium, among others. These minerals help regulate normal blood pleasure and consequently maintain regular heartbeat levels.
- It lowers stress levels. Generally, eating is considered as a stress reducer. The next time you feel stressed out, try eating a yummy slice of chocolate. It reduces stress levels by boosting the production of endorphins which improves one’s mood. Dark chocolate also contains different major stimulants such as caffeine and theobromine.
- It improves blood circulation. When you eat this type of chocolate, your blood vessels also become more flexible. It further improves the performance of endothelial cells. These cells are related to the functioning of the blood cells. As an effect, the risk caused by a lot of cardiovascular diseases is decreased.
- It boosts our immunity. Do you get sick frequently? Try adding dark chocolate to your diet. Two kinds of flavonoids are found in chocolate. These are catechins and epicatechins. Dark chocolate in particular, has more catechins. This boosts our body immune system. It can also possibly prevent major chronic diseases.
- It helps lower cholesterol levels. This chocolate variety can also be the answer to your cholesterol problem. Medical studies have proved that dark chocolate does reduce bad cholesterol level by ten to twelve percent.
- It aids in the treatment of anemia. Dark chocolate has flavonoids compounds. These are helpful in curing patients suffering from anemia and people with poor dietary habits.
- It’s rich in antioxidants. There are many foods that are rich in antioxidants. However, they may not be as delicious as dark chocolate, which is also a powerful antioxidant. Information from the National Institute of Food and Nutrition Research in Italy reveals that these antioxidants fight free-moving radicals. They also fight other risky molecules which can potentially damage our health.
- It treats depression. Serotonin is known to have the qualities of antidepressants. Dark chocolate has high levels of serotonin. No wonder we feel happy when we eat chocolate.
- It’s good for the heart. A small piece of dark chocolate is good for our hearts. It helps us to have a healthy heart as it has a lot of polyphenols and antioxidants.
Now we can enjoy dark chocolate without the guilt. Just remember that we can enjoy these health benefits only if we eat it in moderation.
Article given to DangerousLee.Biz by James Chocolates